This is a different kind of episode. Not an interview or a coaching conversation, but rather a candid talk between two colleagues as we explore how we are processing and responding to the recent rise in overt hate crimes committed against members of the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities around our county. Elena is joined by Bright Morning COO and Podcast Producer, LesLee Bickford. Together we explore what holds us back from speaking out against injustices and how we can release those tethers and stand in solidarity.
This episode is for you if you:
- Have ever failed to respond to injustice and want to do better in the future.
- Benefit from hearing others discuss how they process complex and emotionally charged topics.
- Want ideas for how to engage and stand with members of the AAPI community during this moment of increased racialized violence.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Bryan Stevenson – Executive Director of the Equal Justice Initiative, author of Just Mercy. Quote from keynote “We must get “proximate” to suffering and understand the nuanced experiences of those who suffer from and experience inequality. Stevenson believes that “if you are willing to get closer to people who are suffering, you will find the power to change the world.”
- Instagram accounts to follow for continued learning:
- AAPI organizations to support:
- AAPI Women Lead: I Am Ready Movement
- Rise Now
- Next Shark publications
- TurnOut (Support the Oakland Chinatown Coalition)
- Send Chinatown Love (Supporting Asian-owned small businesses that have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19)
- Stop AAPI Hate (Tracking and reporting the surge in racism and xenophobia)
- Articles to read to learn more about the experience of individuals within the AAPI community:
- Episode 38 with Andrew Mandel on where you find courage: consider the worst case scenario. Consider my why. If my why is worth it, I act.
- Episode 7 with Tre Johnson and his article, “When Black people are in pain, white people just join book clubs.”
- Coaching for Equity 101 and Coaching For Equity Masterclass, learning opportunities to grow your ability to identify and address inequities in ways that lead to transformation. Both kick-off the week of 2/22.
- Bright Morning Memberships. Invest once and gain access to our full suite of offerings all year long.
Keep Up with Bright Morning:
Support us by becoming a Friend of the Show
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram
Receive weekly wisdom and tools from Elena delivered to your inbox! Sign up at https://brightmorningteam.com/newsletter/