This is a different type of episode, one where we unpack a coaching conversation. If you listened in on Monday, you know Elena coached a white leader around working across lines of racial difference, specifically around where to draw a line in cross-racial relationships when behavior has become problematic.
It is possible to create boundaries with cultural competence and humility, yet too often that doesn’t happen. Oftentimes the approach skews to dominance or things running amock. Both of these are failures of leadership. In this episode, Elena and her Bright Morning teammate LesLee Bickford dive into the challenge of white leaders striving to work against white supremacy culture while still providing the leadership needed to run healthy teams where everyone is able to thrive.
Listen in to explore what matters most in these complex and critical situations and hear an example of what it might sound like to open up the conversation with your teammate when you are expressing your concerns.
Resources for continued learning:
- Coaching for Equity 101: July 21-22, 2021
- Coaching for Equity Masterclass: June 22-24, 2021
- The Art of Coaching Teams 101 Workshop: June 30, 2021
Mentioned in this episode:
- Newsletter and Exclusive Resources (sign up!)
- The Art of Coaching Teams (book by Elena)
- Bright Morning Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram