Did you know a childhood photo or a lunch date can help you coach resistance?
On today’s episode, Elena and Bright Morning teammate, Nick Cains, discuss what they do to prepare themselves to coach resistant clients, and how they tend to themselves as coaches of color who often coach across lines of racial difference. Listen in for concrete strategies and several stories that help bring them to life.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Core human needs (from the Bright Morning “How to Eliminate Resistance” handout)
Opportunities for continued learning:
Episode Reflection Questions:
- What are your fears that might be activated when coaching “resistance?”
- How do your own identity markers and experiences influence how you experience resistance? What types of boundaries might you need? What type of support would help you thrive as a coach, even during these challenging moments?
- Elena shared a story about a perpetually “resistant” teacher that was challenging to work with. She utilized several strategies in this relationship, including focusing on a picture of this individual as a child. What is a strategy you are interested in trying when working with a coachee who is challenging for you?
- Why are you a coach? How can that purpose ground you and help provide a broader perspective in moments where you feel resistance (or other difficult-for-you clients)?
Podcast Transcript and Use:
Bright Morning Consulting owns the copyright in and to all content in and transcripts of The Bright Morning Podcast, with all rights reserved. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content.
We welcome you to download and share the podcast with others for personal use; please acknowledge The Bright Morning Podcast as the source of the material.
To help make our show more accessible to those who are hearing impaired or have a reading preference, we’d love to offer a full collection of polished podcast transcripts. However, doing so costs money and Bright Morning is a small organization, currently producing this podcast at our own expense. As such, at this time, we offer polished transcripts for episodes included in workshop prework and select series.
If you would like to support the show and enable us to invest additional resources into providing more polished transcripts, you can do so by becoming a Friend of the Show.
Keep Up With Bright Morning:
Receive weekly wisdom and tools from Elena delivered to your inbox! Sign up at https://brightmorningteam.com/newsletter/