You’re in the middle of a team meeting or a work conversation and someone says something that sets you off. How do you respond?
In today’s episode, Elena provides the background information that you need to be able to understand what’s driving your response in those moments, gives you a three-step method to use to respond with intention, and shares an activity you can start using today to increase your self-awareness. If you’re looking to increase your EQ, this episode is for you!
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Myth of Normal, by Gabor Maté
- The Body Keeps the Score, Bessel van der Kolk
- The Art of Coaching Teams (book by Elena)
- The Art of Coaching Workbook (book by Elena)
- “The Things that Get Under My Skin” (exercise from The Art of Coaching Workbook)
Opportunities for continued learning:
Episode Reflection Questions:
- How did this episode illuminate, expand, and/or challenge your understanding of trauma?
- What comes up for you as you consider “Big T” and “Little t” trauma in your own life? How might this impact how and when you are triggered or emotionally activated?
- In what moments did you experience being triggered and/or emotionally activated in team meetings and/or professional conversations? Are there patterns?
- Which of the three steps that Elena shared for responding when emotionally activated comes most naturally to you? Which step will be the most challenging for you?
Podcast Transcript and Use:
Bright Morning Consulting owns the copyright in and to all content in and transcripts of The Bright Morning Podcast, with all rights reserved. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content.
We welcome you to download and share the podcast with others for personal use; please acknowledge The Bright Morning Podcast as the source of the material.
To help make our show more accessible to those who are hearing impaired or have a reading preference, we’d love to offer a full collection of polished podcast transcripts. However, doing so costs money and Bright Morning is a small organization, currently producing this podcast at our own expense. As such, at this time, we offer polished transcripts for episodes included in workshop prework and select series.
If you would like to support the show and enable us to invest additional resources into providing more polished transcripts, you can do so by becoming a Friend of the Show.
Keep Up With Bright Morning:
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram
Receive weekly wisdom and tools from Elena delivered to your inbox! Sign up at https://brightmorningteam.com/newsletter/